Visitor Visa and eTA

Temporary Resident Visa | ETA

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). A TRV needs to be obtained before you reach Canada.

People who are looking to visit Canada for a holiday, or to visit family, or conduct business should apply for a TRV before they arrive in Canada. The TRV comes with some restrictions which are subject to various conditions. Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not required to get a TRV to enter or re-enter Canada.


To get a TRV you need to satisfy some conditions while you apply to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Some of these conditions are as follows:

  • You must prove that you will leave the country after your visit.
  • You must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and any accompanying family members coming with you.
  • You must be in good health and be willing to conduct a medical exam if required.
  • Must not have any criminal record; be willing to get a police verification done.
  • Must not engage in any kind of work or study in Canada, unless authorized to do so.
  • Must be able to provide all supporting documents at the request of the visa officer.

The requirement for a TRV also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. This requirement depends on your country of residency. If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa.

Electronic Travel Authorization:

If you are from one of the countries which do not require a TRV to visit Canada, then you might have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You must check if you need an eTA before arriving in Canada and apply for one.

According to the new entry requirements, visa-exempt foreign nationals who come to Canada or transit through a Canadian airport, need an eTA. U.S. citizens and people with a valid Canadian visa, Canadian citizens, or permanent residents do not require an eTA. eTA requirement is only required if flying in, visa-exempt travellers do not need an eTA if they are entering Canada via land or sea.

As mentioned on CIC (Canada.Ca) most applications are approved within minutes of applying. You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

An eTA can be valid for about five years or earlier if your passport expires. With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays which is normally six months at a stretch.

Get Free Assessment Today!